Prep for AEP 2024 Success With This Checklist
The Medicare Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) is right around the corner, and as an independent insurance agent, you know just how overwhelming this time of year can be. The good news is, it doesn’t have to be. AEP begins October 15th, meaning there’s still time to set yourself up for success if you take action now and prepare ahead of time.
To make it as simple as possible, we’ve compiled a checklist of the top 5 things you should focus on now to ensure you make the most of the Medicare AEP. By following these steps, you’ll position yourself to capitalize on the biggest Medicare Advantage sales event of the year.
1. Review and Select Carrier Plans
Take some time to review the carriers and plans in your portfolio. When reviewing carriers, familiarize yourself with their application, plans, benefits, and any other helpful tools offered.
Remember to consider the unique needs of your current and prospective clients, so you can provide them with the absolute best options available. Keep the plans your clients have been loving, and also consider diversifying your portfolio with other plans from large and small carriers.
AGA Agents: Use our Medicare quote engine to review plans and find competitive options in your area.
2. Make Sure You’re Ready To Sell
“Ready to sell” means you have completed all of the requirements needed to sell Medicare products. These requirements include passing the AHIP certification and completing all individual carrier contracts and certifications.
✔ Complete Carrier Certification
It is important to get certifications completed ahead of time to ensure you are ready to sell with the carriers and plans you wish to offer.
AGA Agents: Find carrier specific certification instructions in our agent portal or contact a member of our broker service team to ensure you are on the right path and ready to sell for AEP.
✔ Pass AHIP Exam
The AHIP certification is a two-part course that is required for all agents who wish to sell Medicare. The certification is put in place to ensure agents are Medicare compliant. The cost of the 2024 AHIP certification is $175 however, you can get a discount by being an AGA agent!
Agents can be reimbursed $125 for the cost of completing AHIP when using AGA’s unique link. In addition to:
- Receiving an automatic $50 discount
- No longer having to send AHIP certification to AGA
- Eligibility for full reimbursement with FIVE qualified Medicare Advantage applications during the 2024 AEP*
You must complete your AHIP certification to sell during AEP.
3. Take Advantage of AGA Resources and Marketing Tools
Get 50% of your Marketing Cost Covered with AGA!
AEP is the time of year when it really pays off to partner with an FMO. A great FMO should have resources and support to set you up for a successful AEP.
AGA partners have access to a wide range of agent services such as:
- Marketing Department
- Event Reporting & Coordination
- Agent Portal & CRM with Online Enrollment
- Coordinated Certification Training & Support
- Commission Team
- Compliance & Allegation Support
- Submission Department
- Contracting Team
- Marketing Co-op program
- Marketing Dollars program
- Agent Referral program
4. Review Historical Data
Analyze data from previous AEPs to identify trends, patterns, and areas of improvement. Use this data to refine your strategy and implement goals.
Brokers, assess your team’s performance during the previous AEP and identify strengths and weaknesses. Establish specific goals and objectives for the upcoming AEP based on these insights.
5. Develop a Marketing Plan
While you can’t market or sell for AEP to clients until October 1st, that doesn’t mean you need to delay your sales and marketing strategy. Get ahead of the game by:
- Defining your target market. Be specific. Instead of just “Medicare beneficiaries”, think of married couples or those turning 65 or with chronic health conditions.
- Knowing your audience. What are their interests? What do they read, watch? What are their primary concerns? Who do they follow on social media?
- Researching your competitors. What are they doing that you aren’t? How is your niche different from theirs? How can you outshine them?
- Getting your marketing channels compliant. Get your ads, websites, handouts, presentations (any marketing material) approved in advance so there aren’t any delays when it’s mission critical time.
- Calendar and plan your marketing events.
- Check in with current clients to review their current year plan benefits. Note, you can only discuss their current year, but in doing so, you will learn about what their needs are and have a warm call to make come October 1.
- Educating your audience on when AEP is and what happens during that time. Provide general educational information on what the annual notice of change (ANOC) is and when to look for it.